After having read the blog post named “The MEAN Stack: MongoDB, ExpressJS, AngularJS and Node.js” by Valeri Karpov we decided to take a look at those technologies.
Based on our readings we decided to implement several chapters from the Professional Node JS book (20, 21 and 25).
For info: We needed 5 working days to develop, understand, fine tune the code you have in front of you on our GITHub repository: https://github.com/ALT-F1/nodejs-professional
We have tackled some requirements :
- to learn NodeJS and its dependencies like Jade, Express, Async and MongoDB
- to learn how to write simple Create/Retrieve/Update/Delete (CRUD) applications
- in a first stage we have used Sublime Text 2
- then we moved to WebStorm IDE at the very last stage due to our inability to debug Jade scripts; but WebStorm didn’t help much
- Jade scripts were very hard to understand
- the debug of Jade is painful i.e. we lose too much time correcting tabulations vs. spaces !!!!
- the code of the Professional Node JS book doesn’t fit today’ versions of the tools; it obliged us to adapt the code
- We didn’t find a decent debugger (read visual) for NodeJS scripts
- Understand how Grunt works, but we have deleted this part of scripts for the moment; now Grunt is mastered somehow