Great news for Belgian companies who will deduct up to 80% of their social security taxes for each researcher working in their premises.
Elio Di Rupo gave a speech the 19 December 2012 we could summarise in 5 sentences but the American Chamber of Commerce gives deeper insight  about the project :
“…That is why our economic recovery strategy also focuses on innovation and R&D.
- …the Minister of Finance is currently finalising a legislative proposal which would increase the exemption of company social security taxes for researchers from 75% to 80%. In practice, a company hiring a researcher with a monthly salary of around 3,000 EUR, could save 20,000 EUR per year!
- In addition, the conditions for deducting patent incomes for Small and Medium Enterprises are improved. By eliminating the requirement to have a separate research department, SME’s can deduct up to 80% of their patent income.
- The government is also encouraging the financial sector to continue to provide funding to our companies. Those who want to be an entrepreneur should be enabled to do so.
- We have also re-launched the structural consultation with highly innovative industries, such as the pharmaceutical and the chemical industry. And the Federal Government is open to do the same with other sectors.
- The Government is also finalizing the establishment of “a platform of technological watch.” This platform will allow a better match of the federal tools, for instance, tax measures, patents, R&D statistics, pricing policy…. with the innovation policies of the Regions.” 
 Innovation as key driver for the economy: http://premier.fgov.be/fr/living-tomorrow-2020
 Di Rupo steps up support for innovation: http://www.amcham.be/FocusarticleAmChamBelgium/tabid/489/smid/1161/ArticleID/842/Default.aspx